Follow us on Twitter @EatThePlanetOrg
Are you ready to start making another unique dish? Have you ever heard of sheep’s sorrel or wood sorrel? Both of these have a bit of a tangy flavor to them giving any salad a little zing! Wood sorrel looks very similar to a four leaf clover. For more information on identification of wood sorrel see our article on wood sorrel. Sheep sorrel also has a very unique leaf shape. For more information on identification of sheep sorrel see our article on sheep sorrel. Both of these little jewels are filled with Vitamin C and other great benefits for your body.
I love when my salads have a bit of tang to them, so that’s exactly what are going to do. Salads made with lettuce, tomato and you guessed it, wood sorrel or sheep sorrel are some of the most delicious and nutritious side dishes that I’ve had in a long time. Seeing how a good salad can be the main part of a dish or just a side, we want to show you a different way to approach your salad using these tangy plants.
1 Large and juicy tomato (thinly sliced)
4 Tbsp of Olive oil
Maldon ( a type of flaky salt)
2 cups of sheep sorrel leaves(wood sorrel can be added but it’s difficult to get in significant quantities)
3 cups of lettuce (roughly chopped )
¼ cup of thyme (roughly chopped )
¼ cup of parsley
¼ cup of chive (roughly chopped )
¼ cup of Basil
1) In a large salad bowl place tomato along with 3 tbsp of olive oil, ½ salt and ¼ black pepper and let sit.
2) Using your hands, pull apart the basil and parsley and place in the large salad bowl
3) Add lettuce, wood sorrel, thyme and parsley to the bowl and toss.
4) Sprinkle the remaining olive oil onto the salad
5) Toss, salt and pepper to taste
6) Serve and enjoy